Sunday, March 3, 2013

Moses Meets God


“There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire our of a bush; he looked and the bush was blazing, yet it was not consumed.”                        -Exodus 3:2

Srs. Mary Ann, Nancy & Cyndi
In January I had the opportunity to give a vocation talk to the Middle and High School catechism classes at my nephew’s parish.  I used the call of Moses as an introduction to the talk and, spent some time reflecting on what it means to experience God in ways similar to Moses, ways that seem contrary to what we expect from God. I imagine coming across the cool flame of a bush that is burning yet not consumed, and am left in a state of wonder. I asked them to think about the unexpected ways they find God’s beauty and mystery in their lives. I never tire of Moses, his eventual relationship with God inspires me even more than this initial moment…maybe that is for another day.


Srs. Sue, Johana, Clare & Edie
A simple way that I experience the beauty of God today is in the completion of a weekend with sisters in my community who were born after 1950.  Seventeen of us gathered Thursday evening at the Cenacle Retreat Center in Chicago, IL.  One of our intentions was deepening our relationship with one another. It was difficult to drag myself to the weekend, my usual pattern of skepticism when doing something new is pretty predictable and I was right on target. Moses initial encounter with God begins a journey of intimacy and friendship that I see as unparalleled in scripture with another human being (you might read my bias in this and see my Moses banner flying hight). I realized while sitting among my sisters this weekend that this reflects opportunity to recognize in each of them the opportunity to take off my sandals and reverence the wonder of God in ways not so different than Moses coming upon the burning bush. In some ways I am refreshed and renewed, while struggling with sleep deprivation at this very moment. The week will provide opportunity to further reflect on what this encounter provided, and for this I am grateful.   

No comments:

Post a Comment