Sunday, January 15, 2012

What Happened to the 70s?

Oh my....I am spending the night with my Mom and she is playing Music Choice and we now are into "Love Hurts" on the 1970s channel...we already lived through "The Night Chicago Died" and "Carwash." Funny thing is this Al Green song just flipped on and she thought it was Tina Turner (one of my favorites). The woman makes me laugh (not Tina, my Mom). I think the 70s have a place in the scheme of things, and some of the stuff is great...my guess is that much of what I remember are the One Hit Wonders of the era and some greats like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and the Eagles. As we are sitting around talking I keep remembering singing into brushes and playing air guitar on brooms with my cousin Tracy while jamming out to KISS. Thanks for the laughs tonight Mom!!!!

Today the meditation group I belong to met and as we gathered it was so nice to be with them again. Last time I missed our meeting and recognize that this was a loss. As we talked one of the members brought up the "Hopi Elders Prayer." It is a challenge to be a spiritual seeker and observe how we hold ourselves back when unable to let go. This can be something from the past, an idea, fantasy or even blocking a passage for change. My guess is I am not the only one that wants to hold on at times and must listen to the wisdom of the elders, while pushing off from the shore. Two things that arise for me are the need to be willing to follow possibilities, and know the task at hand cannot be done alone. Rather than ramble-on I am attaching the video...the prayer begins about two minutes into it.

Well, I am going to get back to the 70s with my Mom as she hums along to a song I never heard (She just said she hasn't heard it since the 70s. Listening to it now I can understand why). Good night and thanks for being here with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment