Sunday, July 22, 2012

Twilight

The days of the blog-cation are over and so much has happened over the past two weeks (I missed you these past weeks). We had our community days and that was filled with great discussions and opportunity to plan for the future. Before our official start sisters under 62 y/o were gathered to begin visioning together. I was cautious about entering into this experience and found that most of us had similar experiences. There were 25 of us present and it was powerful to realize how little we really know one another as a group. I am still touched by the gathering and look forward to how we will build and dream the future together wtih the rest of CSA. The other days were good as well and I had the opportunity to work with a group to put on a day that incorporated the concept of leadership and with Associates and Sisters. It seemed it turned out well, tomorrow we will get the official feedback from a Survey Monkey to see if those attending thought it was a success.

Currently I am writing this post from Fond du Lac, WI (which reminds me I need to give people the official notice of my move) and the week has been good. Did I mention that I would be living with one of my community members and her 23 y/o niece (who has two dogs)? The awkwardness of moving-in is still a little present. You know people never offer you a blue print of their lives when you share community (like it would help if they did). So, over the years I have learned is the best thing to do is live into the experience and pay attention to schedules, patterns and ask questions. Part of my angst before coming was that I would not no how to do this. The reality is that I have an advantage in this situation because I know them at varying levels. I do feel much more confident about this than I did last Sunday evening while finishing packing. So, in this new situation it is likely time to reflect on possibilities and change while entering a new routine. There is something adventurous about it really. 

I am very aware of the massacre that happened in Colorado last week and offer prayers to those who were impacted by this act of violence. There are times when I think we really live in twilight and are confused about whether we are entering day or night. This is how I experience the massacre as I watch the media interviewing people who were there and getting the scoop. I wonder why we want to know all these details and whether they would be better off having an opportunity to put their lives together without being scrutinized? There is a poem by Adrienne Rich that is coming up right now as I write and although it does not apply directly to the massacre or the media response it offers what I find to be an astute perspective on humanity, yours and mine. And, I must admit there is something dark about the poem that fits in with my current reflection on living in the twilight:

What Kind of Times Are These

BY ADRIENNE RICH
There's a place between two stands of trees where the grass grows uphill
and the old revolutionary road breaks off into shadows
near a meeting-house abandoned by the persecuted
who disappeared into those shadows.

I've walked there picking mushrooms at the edge of dread, but don't be fooled
this isn't a Russian poem, this is not somewhere else but here,
our country moving closer to its own truth and dread,
its own ways of making people disappear.

I won't tell you where the place is, the dark mesh of the woods
meeting the unmarked strip of light—
ghost-ridden crossroads, leafmold paradise:
I know already who wants to buy it, sell it, make it disappear.

And I won't tell you where it is, so why do I tell you
anything? Because you still listen, because in times like these
to have you listen at all, it's necessary
to talk about trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment